Saturday, March 28, 2009

"How did EJ get his name?"

In short, the name belonged to his paternal great, great grandfather. My Dad has done some research and he traced the lineage back to Edmund G., who came to the U.S. from Canada in the late 1800's. He had a son named Edmund James, who lived in Keene, New Hampshire, and played minor league baseball for the White Sox in the 1910's. He had a son, Edmund David, who was an avid outdoorsman and WWII veteran. My Dad is Edmund David Jr., and I'm E.D. III.

Besides honoring the tradition on my side of the family, the middle name means alot to us because Joanna's uncle and godfather is named James.

When we were considering the name we noticed another interesting connection- when Joey and I first met in '98 we were on a mission trip to the Guatemalan towns of "Santiago Zamora" and "Santiago de los Caballeros." Santiago is Spanish for James. I don't think its a stretch to say that's more than a coincidence...

So our little guy has alot of significance behind his name, which is what we wanted. I'm sure he'll be glad we didn't go with the "let's pull a name out of a hat" idea. :)

-Edmund

No comments: